quiet company












each of us alone, but not, under mediated law,
coming close again for a glimmer, a smile.
we point, counterpoint, try the lines, touch, draw,
finding net worth, desperation, selfishness, guile.
our eyes bounce around the familiar faces,
evaluating unity: boredom, desire, work, games,
witty remarks, pleasing angles, heart races,
cutting corners, shifting morals, taking aim.

flex my mind, investing time once more,
flipping through the pages, skimming...truly,
humility knows there's distance, far from the core,
but sparknotes work: cheapen history, lower fidelity.
let's try on questions, favorite colors and genealogy,
search for bridges, DMZs, and freeness to love.
fences remain intact, no doubt: us, them, you, me,
but maybe if I listen again, the song will be enough.

put my headphones on and find a quiet corner,
p.h.d tied around my tender neck, breathing quick.
fit the stethoscope in place, electric brainstorm her,
and press play on the heartbeat of the unknown, music.
in, out, breathing deeply, so even I can hear you right,
watching for lyrics, for experiences, for soul, for me.
hoping to learn something new, to feel new, burn bright,
and retake the corner, bold observations, with quiet company.



Comments

Popular Posts