Thursday, September 10, 2015

flight risk














I am paused by your quiet, set face,
your presence never lingering for long.
My eyes search out yours, try to keep pace,
confused by your steps, lost in your song.

I am...
barred from a path along your mountain tops,
withheld from rituals, telling, written, little lines.
I am kept generic, impersonal, actors and props,
never close enough to translate your secret signs.

you smile so sweetly, briefly showing a bit more,
momentary lapses in straw brick, mortared stones.
Progressions of conversation, revealing the core;
shadows haunting, dreams blinding, aching bones.

You are...
a terrified, troublesome, frustrating flight risk,
always ready to leave me, should I ever doubt.
And I should know better than to try and fix this,
all I can do is calmly...confidently, assure you...
that you have all my love.

6 comments:

  1. How very beautiful.

    Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Incredibly lovely and loving words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have set this up well, with the opposing, "I am..." :You are" stanza beginnings. What is it about our hearts, emotions that choose so seemingly unwisely? I don't know, but you've showed it here beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  4. very beautiful poem..I loved it... However could not relate this to the picture prompt given except for a word- mountain appearing there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely words. So very soulful...

    ReplyDelete
  6. How beautifully done Michael! Through whatever faults when it comes to a loved one, these are just diversions, nothing serious. It boils down to giving and forgiving!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete