Settling


















vanities and weaknesses cattle prod my feet,
and adrenaline holds my legs at a gun point run.
So wanderer, coward, rebellious son, or fresh meat
are names I bare, hazardous wings I wanton wear.

keeping the road cautiously, fleeing where I please,
with fingers growing callous, rhythm filled contrite.
searching for chords, or words, or harmonies,
that show clearly my jealousies; my artist's plight.

I rest on the edge of everything my dear,
embracing the smoke, future unclear and breathe.
soak up the sound of fire, feel freely the fear,
grip tighter my principles and bereave the liar.

For these trees; would be pages, are burning,
as lonely sages, childlike learning breaks rules.
forest of definitions made fools by birdsong yearning,
by grace in wonder; fair feather's many schools.

But,
I do feel desire in stability, safety in being bored,
living within city walls, keyboards, and downy beds.
my gypsy ways suffocated with pillows, ignored,
and the bounty of doctor recommended meds.

Privileged by waste, easy, taught with fascination,
I've learned solitude, observation, happiness bought.
By attitude management; forced preoccupation,
these nicotine nuances work to get me caught.

What will become of me should I fear too great the night?

Comments

  1. I like the challenges of your multiple conflicts, expressed so well in this poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I do feel desire in stability, safety in being bored,
    living within city walls, keyboards, and downy beds.
    my gypsy ways suffocated with pillows, ignored,"

    To tame the wild wind is darn near impossible, yet I imagine even the wind enjoys retiring to soft breeze in time. I really enjoyed this. The complexity, choice words and subtle rhyme kept my interest throughout this well-woven piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my gypsy ways suffocated with pillows, ignored,
    and the bounty of doctor recommended meds.... lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. If only you could tussle my hair. haha. i feel so proud right now.

      Delete
  5. The worst that may come of you is hitting your head on the dedk after falling from the piano !

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The resolve seem very well under control. Nothing should cause the bother. Thoughtful take Michael!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  8. "I rest on the edge of everything my dear," I really like that! Nice take.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Settling...we fight an inner war of mortar shells of should I...I loved your journey to that point...great write!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a magnificent piece of writing. There's a piece of me there with the verses that hold the 'searching for words, chords and harmonies and the doctors meds!'

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love these lines.
    Privileged by waste, easy, taught with fascination,
    I've learned solitude, observation, happiness bought.
    By attitude management; forced preoccupation,
    these nicotine nuances work to get me caught.

    I've never needed help in learning solitude, but need to work on observation. This is a great piece of work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do feel desire in stability, safety in being bored,
    living within city walls, keyboards, and downy beds.
    my gypsy ways suffocated with pillows, ignored,
    I loved these lines and also the very last line. Great poem./

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really enjoyed the 2 and 3rd stanza.."keeping the road cautiously", sometimes it is fun to take a side road who knows what one will find.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts