Gentleman's Evening















The fire and I are older than friends,
set opposite to one another long ago.
Holding the glass up the light bends,
telling answers only whiskey can know.

evenings as such drag on into the night,
with staring matches between two fools.
hazy thoughts snapshot memory to flight,
and firelight fingers become rusty tools.

Wood cracks in the background of strings,
notes  now ringing discordant from tears.
Betrayed by beverage the sharp sound stings,
so I lift the pedal until the final echo clears.

silence swallows my song in the flames;
the equal adversary withstanding my cold.
moving pictures slow to the final frames,
close enough to bruise but too far to hold.

Comments

  1. Wow!A lot of deep thoughts and lonely feelings in this. I love sitting by a fire and sometimes I find myself deep in thought as I stare.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the lyrical quality here...would make a lovely song...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm never going to do your work justice with mere words .. it is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really creative and well constructed, Michael. I love the sounds and the rhyme that carries the reflections through the whole work. It needs to be sung. Thank you for sharing. =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading and thank you for such a good comment.

      Delete
  5. Sometimes the warmth of alcohol brings with it an unwanted cold insight into our existence or conversely hides the things we do not wish to see...

    Fine thoughts and words Michael.

    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorrowful in a very, very lovely way!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts