Courage

The world is full of things bigger than I am;
Powerful and cold, dark and delicate.
And whether I stand, proudly as a man,
Or cave under my own ignorant skill set,
I will carry on boldly.

 Threats have been made, pleasures flaunted,
Whispering hungry nights and insecurity.
Eyes dilated, mouth watering, conscience daunted;
The endless enticement of selfish possibility.
And still I walk away.

For I have seen the error in ephemeral triumph,
Watched accomplishments turn to dust.
Where could I go to forget this, my love?
What other wisdom will ever earn my trust?
There is no other choice.

Into the storm, the sea, the far dangerous place,
My path leads deeply into “cloud and shade.”
And though my spirit rests, calm, with grace,
My heart knows that I am so very afraid.
Will I be okay?

I will not yield to the pounding in my chest,
Whether I’m shaken, or without any control.
It’s time to let my troubled mind rest,
“For when I am weak, then I am powerful.”


Comments

Popular Posts