Summer Haven
















Summer Haven fell like the leaves did;
with slow bird circles and autumn sorrow.
Memory recalls places Id play as a kid,
hiding spots that only I would ever know.

The roof droops in tired old snow patches,
like branches that receive too much icing.
I think of it at times and my breath catches,
just to remember how we all took to wing.

Deserted and alone among the myriad trees,
stands the fulfillment of many a midnight dream.
It was the consequence of following the breeze;
of seeking silver linings in a golden gleam.

And though the house I built is almost gone,
even with two chances Id build it the same.
For it traces my story in ink lines on the lawn,
fading slowly as the remembrance of my name.

Comments

  1. I just love the last lines- and enjoyed your whole tale well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow ... this is such a haunting piece just full of regret (?) or is it a poignant feeling of loss of a time and place in youth (?) ... surely a case of 'don't know what you got til it's gone' ... I'll be re-reading this a few times this week! Beautifully written!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has a very poignant feel to it, much like the painting. I love the last stanza.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Summer Haven fell like the leaves did. Nicely done...

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so the outcome of many a dream. Nicely put!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your poem reads like lovely music ....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the ink lines on the lawn...full of delicious melancholy...

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lovely familiar feel of yesterday even for me. I especially enjoyed your close .

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sad and lovely rolled into one....beautiful write Michael!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts