hermit of the mind















weekend wandering often finds me there,
huddled into empty spaces with dim light.
searching still lifes in memory and prayer,
like a prince coaxing magic from midnight.

why do time and circumstance hold sway,
over creatures reflecting ancient desire?
perhaps these chosen contradictions prey,
because we are most beautiful when on fire.

crickets answer my question in evening song,
rising in a tide of faceless perennial wisdom.
secrets and intimacy fight as beauty with Kong;
searching them out till time can reveal their sum.

reclused into beauty held beyond prying eyes,
my spirit smiles for it is still more than it seems.
yet, if ever I did yield the key as your prize,
enter gently into a world of uncovered dreams.

Comments

  1. I LOVE your second stanza.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You express this fear of intimacy so beautifully. I particularly love the lines, 'like a prince coaxing magic from midnight.' and, 'because we are most beautiful when on fire.' Others too, but I'd end up copying your whole poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the rhyming verses ~ These lines are specially lovely:

    perhaps these chosen contradictions prey,
    because we are most beautiful when on fire.

    Superb~

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts