son of the storm


"Eternity, she said, takes too long for me,
who can know we're the same when were older?"
I know, I said, with a confidence used too freely,
So much so that my warm cliches left her colder.

Its hard to rationalize such ancient passions,
with a world of wind chasers and time tasters.
My mind revolts against our fleshly fashions,
Unable to wear the colors of life wasters.

For every action spent in ephemeral vanity,
savors of nervous life followed by talking clocks.
Its a nothing filled with an aged man's profanity,
made bitter by the deathly predator that stalks.

I simply cannot be made to live in constant fear,
fear of time, fear of loneliness, fear of never.
Freed of these things the reasons become clear,
love, my passion belongs to things lasting forever.

"So strangely you speak when we are alone,
like all the world is a child's toy to the blind.
There's too much conviction held in your tone,
Too much for someone so young, face unlined."

Knowing the caliber of her soul against mine,
I smiled a smile kept beyond the reach of others.
For though my heart is still a lightning gold shrine,
I cannot help but  wear her violent red colors.

Perhaps you're right, daughter of the rain,
But my mind is betrayed by this simple form.
Though our story is too young to ever remain
it will live on in the spirit of a son of the storm.

Made immortal by my precipitous parentage,
my existence will go on till the very end of time.
And when I stand upon doom's infinite edge,
Ill still know what I knew when you were mine.

...
(Reposted cuz it was recent and worked so well.)

Comments

  1. Beautiful! My favorite line: I cannot help but wear her violent red colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I especially love the 5th stanza a beautiful write Michael!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it works very well, and the last verse, memorable and sad, rounds out the whole beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The whole poem kept me there, but I really smiled at this: "Its hard to rationalize such ancient passions,
    with a world of wind chasers and time tasters." It takes a lot of determination to not become one in this world of 'Overrated treasures and underrated pleasures'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thoroughly enjoy reading your comments. Thank you all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Passionate and strong ... your poem resonates.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts